This post is sponsored by Unilever as part of my participation in the Unilever Agents of Change program.
This vibrant rice and beans salad is a one-dish meal that is truly earthy because it is spiced with the hearty, southwestern flavors of Knorr® Selects Rustic Mexican Rice & Beans. Knorr® Selects is a premium line of rice & pasta side dishes that can help create a delicious and nutritious main meal in just 3 simple steps.
All you need are Knorr® Selects, add a lean or plant-based protein and fresh veggies for a delicious main meal to celebrate Cinco de Mayo!
Earlier this year, Knorr®, in partnership with the World Wildlife Fund, launched The Future 50 Foods report, a collection of diverse plant-based foods from around the world that can boost the nutritional value of our meals while reducing the environmental impact of our food supply.
After reading the report, I decided to incorporate three ingredients into this rice salad: kale, orange tomatoes, and walnuts. I also added pieces of jicama, roasted chickpeas and walnuts to add a crunchy texture. Jicama is a fruit popular in Mexico. If you can’t find it, substitute with raw zucchini. Add some heat with the jalapeño. It will give it a nice subtle kick.
If you’re planning a Cinco de Mayo party this year, serve this colorful rice salad. It will be a hit!
Cinco de Mayo Salad
Category: lunch, dinner, gluten free, vegetarian
Makes: 10 cups
Serving size: 1 cup
- 1 package Knorr® Selects Rustic Mexican Rice & Beans
- 1 can (15.5 oz.) garbanzo beans or pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp. olive oil. divided
- 1 tsp. chili powder (or paprika)
- 1 medium jicama (about 2 cups) peeled, (or raw zucchini unpeeled), cubed
- 2 tbsp. lime juice, divided
- 1 bunch kale (lacinato, red or curly) (about 11 leaves), rinsed, center stem removed and thinly sliced (about 2.5 cups finely chopped)*
- 2 orange tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp. crushed walnuts
- 1-2 jalapeños, seeded and finely minced (optional)
- 1 tbsp. fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400˚ F.
- Follow Knorr® Selects Rustic Mexican Rice & Beans recipe instructions on the back of the pack and cook for 10 minutes or until rice is done and the liquid has evaporated.
- Spread beans in a single layer on a baking sheet. Drizzle 1 teaspoon of olive oil and season with chili powder (or paprika). Roast until slightly browned, about 25 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon of lime juice onto jicama pieces.
- Toss kale with the remaining olive oil and massage with your hands, rubbing leaves between your fingers. See notes below.
- Once rice is cooked, stir in all the ingredients in a large bowl and combine them with the rice. Pour the remaining fresh lime juice, add black pepper and mix well. It is ready to serve.