Roasted Brussels sprouts are cooked on the outside until they are golden brown and semi-soft and still crunchy on the inside. The idea is to keep them crispy (not baby food type). In my house, this is a favorite vegetable for the Thanksgiving menu. This same recipe can be followed to cook other vegetables. Try this recipe with cauliflower. Roasted vegetables taste so much better than when they are steamed.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. There are times I cook at a lower temperature of 400 degrees depending on whether the sprouts are small. I like it when the Brussels sprouts are brownish on the outside, so I prefer to cook them at 450 degrees.
Place the baking tray or dish in the oven while the oven heats up.
First, rinse the sprouts lightly with water. Cut the ends off and cut in half. Add olive oil so that they can brown easily. Season with sea salt and black pepper.
Keep an eye on the time so you don’t burn them and roast at 450 degrees for 10 minutes. Check and move the tray to cook evenly on all sides. Then reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees and cook for another 10 or 15 minutes.
This is how they’re going to look, very pretty. At this time check with a knife that they are tender. Cook longer if needed.
The last step is to drizzle honey when the sprouts are hot. Just a few teaspoons of honey will do. As you can see, I like honey. Other recipes add balsamic vinegar or lemon juice, use what you have. This is how you eat healthily.
Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- 1.5 pounds Brussels sprouts, raw
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place baking dish or pan inside oven while preheating.
- Cut stem and cut Brussels sprouts in half. Place in a bowl. Add olive oil, combine and season with salt and black pepper.
- Remove baking dish carefully with gloves and place sprouts. Arrange that sprouts are in a single layer. Roast for 10 minutes at 450 degrees. Move pan once so that they cook evenly.
- Lower oven temperature to 350 degrees and continue to cook for another 10-15 minutes until tender. Check with a knife that Brussels sprouts are tender before removing from the oven.
- Place Brussels sprouts in a bowl, drizzle honey and serve.